Historical and Folklore Museum of Nikiti
The folklore collection of the museum includes approximately 1500 objects, donated during the last 20 years by the inhabitants of Nikiti to the Nikitean philologist Mr Dimitrios Dimaras.
For the purposes of the permanent exhibition, the collection was enriched with new donations, and historical documents. Objects, archival material, contemporary artistic photography, oral testimonies, and film documentary become the means to highlight various stories about the settlement and the lives of the people of Nikiti.
The Historical and Folklore Museum of Nikiti is housed in the stone school building of the old settlement.
The school was built in 1870, and today it is a historical monument under state protection.
The nonprofit partnership “Museum of Nikiti Ηalkidiki” is the responsible body for the operation of the museum.
The implementation of the Historical and Folklore Museum of Nikiti came as a priority project for the Mayor of Sithonia, Ioannis Tzitzios, to achieve its integration in financial programs.
Folklore Museum at Poliyiros
The Poliyiros Folklore Museum opened in May 1998 on the initiative of the Women’s Voluntary Association for Community Development, a local group that has been organizing folklore-related events for the past twenty years.
The museum is located in the town centre in the renovated two-storey residence of the former mayor of Poliyiros, Mr Karaganis, who donated it for the purpose.
The exhibits have all been donated by residents and citizens of Poliyiros.
Those on the first floor are so arranged as to recreate the interior of an urban house of the nineteenth and early twentieth century, with reception rooms (a salon with sofas and a low round table, a dining room, and the rest of the furniture that an urban house in Macedonia was expected to have), bedrooms (with metal bedsteads, wardrobes, and bedding), the everyday sitting-room, the kitchen (complete with cooking utensils, cauldrons, baking trays, a fireplace), and another room containing the traditional loom.
Authentic costumes from the wider area of Poliyiros are displayed in various corners of the house.